Wednesday, September 12, 2007

We Will Fum Again

My plan for this blog is to follow a regular pattern of recapping games played on the past Saturday every Tuesday, and previewing the next Saturday’s game on Thursday. This ensures that I put out consistent information weekly (and more importantly satisfy the requirements a certain journalism class). Unfortunately, my plan hit a snag this week, with CSU having a bye.

Therefore, I decided this was a good time to introduce my readers to Fum’s Song, the reason I named my blog “Fum Again.”

It all revolves around this little ditty (check out some great CSU highlights as well), written by one of the greatest people ever to be involved in Aggie and Ram football, Thurman "Fum" McGraw.

Fum was a legendary player back when CSU was still Colorado A&M, and an influential part of the CSU athletics sphere even after his death in 2000, as almost every athletic office of CSU is located in the McGraw Athletic Center.

In 2005, a great tradition seemed to be taking hold, as at the end of the third quarter the scoreboards at Hughes Stadium showed a clip of Fum singing his song to the team, along with the words to the song. The crowd sang along, and erupted into roars of delight. CSU has very few original traditions (example: the melody of our fight song is the exact same as our archrival CU’s), so this was a great idea that brought everyone together.

Unfortunetly, the song was ruled inappropriate to be played the next season after some complaints (never mind the fact that the students of the school voted for it to be used). More info here.

Worse, the school now immediately has the dance team perform at the end of the third quarter, pumping their music over the speakers, making it almost impossible for those who still want to sing to be able to even hear themselves. Tradition killed.

I purpose a solution to this. Since Fum’s old number was 48, I suggest that when 00:48 shows on the scoreboard of each quarter, the students’ section should start singing Fum’s Song. It might be during a play every so often, but if that is the case the fans will just have to be extra loud on the next chance.

Or our Athletic Department could step up and allow the crowd to sing Fum’s Song uninterrupted at the end of the third quarter, without interfering. If we can get it together to sing the song, then let us.
I'll sing you a song of college days
And tell you where to go.
Aggies where knowledge is,
and Boulder to spend your dough.
CC for your sissy boys,
Utah for your times,
DU for your ministers,
and drunkard School of Mines.
Don't send my boy to Wyoming U,
A dying mother said.
Don't send him to old Brigham Young,
I'd rather see him dead.
But send him to our Aggies,
It's better than Cornell,
Before I see him in Boulder,
I'd see my son in hell.

No comments: