Thursday, November 29, 2007

Thanks coach...

As you may have noticed, I changed the title and description a little to reflect the recent news.

I did it because it was cute and because I had to find a way to honor Sonny, even if it is a little corny.

Yesterday I had the pleasure of going to the Sonny Lubick firement (that is a combo of retirement and firing, which you can watch in it's entirety here) press conference, and I must say I could not have made the decision to force Sonny out that Pauly K made, but then I have a hard time deciding what to eat with a full refrigerator.

It didn't have to happen, and it could have been avoided.

Unfortunately neither Pauly K or Sonny read each other correctly, and we ended up with this mess.

Fortunately, Sonny is too classy, too much of a gentleman, too kind, too good, to make the situation worse, and he retired with grace.

I also got to meet with Sonny afterward, locked away in the offensive lineman meeting room, an office that didn't exist before sonny (the era I will refer to from now on as the B.S. era, because CSU football was BS then). He fielded extra questions from me and about 15 others for about another half hour after the press conference, and I couldn't help feeling like I was talking to my grandfather, yet I had only uttered about six sentences to the man before I sat there.

You could tell he wanted to vent a little about the raw deal he got, and he definitely left hints that he wasn't happy, and that it may be a while before he shares that "case of beer" with Pauly K (that they alluded to in the press conference see about three paragraphs down in here), but he still couldn't bring himself to really say anything bad about the university or anyone involved.

It is for this reason that I hope Sonny stays in Fort Collins and works with the Rams.

It doesn't even have to be in the BS position (Associate AD blah blah) that was offered to him basically as an "I Owe You" in his contract. I think he has too much pride right now to take that spot, but hopefully in the future. If I can trust my interpretation of the contract, he has at least two years to decide if he wants to do it.

He is instrumental to this campus and town, and it is highly conceivable he will outlast the next coach who comes in, whether they are successful or not. We will need Sonny when this happens, to step up in the void, perhaps to replace Pauly K if his hire fails, or to help with another transition.

Plus, his sons Matt and Marc could be a huge coup someday as a future coach at CSU, continuing the legacy.

I could only hope time heals wounds, and the Lubick legacy lives on.

No comments: